Saturday Snapshot: Lyrics as Art

I was looking around for inspiration this week, and decided on my own walls.  I like all of my art to have a story.  A few have songs, and I thought I’d share those today.  Sort of meldings of art mediums.

These two pictures were a gift from a friend, who got them from her friend who bought them from an artist selling them by the Thames.  The hard-to-read lyric in the middle (sorry for the glare!) is “Part of me still has never come back from London,” from the beautiful song by Barry Manilow, “London.”  And it’s true–I went to London when I was sixteen, and part of me has never come back.  I suppose that’s why I’ve been dreaming of getting back ever since.  I don’t plan to ever move there; I have too many ties on this side of the ocean.  But part of me has never left London.

I bought this poster because I wanted to put up the song quote.  I had to hunt quite a bit for a good picture of the sky (harder to find than you’d think).  The line is from “A Piece of Sky,” a song from Yentil, but what counts for me is that Michael Crawford put it on his A Touch of Music in the Night CD.  The song is all about realizing that there’s a bigger, broader world out there, and deciding to go out and find it, to believe that we don’t have to settle for less, and that we can chase our dreams.  It’s a good thing to be reminded of now and then.

And just to tie it together, going to London is definitely a dream I chase. 🙂

Check out At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Lyrics as Art

1. ensign_beedrill says:

You are a much better decorator than I am. 🙂 Enjoy your return to London!

2. Carl V. says:

Those are great, thanks for sharing! I’ve never been to London but feel a piece of me is there as well, on the island as a whole. Whether it be London itself, England or Ireland or Scotland, if I read about or watch shows set in those locales I feel such a calling to the land and a weird kinship. I have to get over there some day.

Given your love of the place, have you ever read Anna Quindlen’s nonfiction book, Imagined London? I highly recommend it if you haven’t. It is all about fiction set in the city and is a small but very lovely book.

• I have read Imagined London…and I’m sorry to say it didn’t quite work out for me. I adored the premise of it, but then it turned out I wasn’t familiar with most of the works she was referencing, so I couldn’t really get into it.

I know exactly what you mean about a kinship–I’m in absolutely no way literally British, but I feel SO attached. And I think it’s at least in part the books and movies that are set there…though I also seek them out because of that, so it becomes a little circular…

3. Cipriano says:

Your pictures are wonderful. For me, when I visit someone, go into a house, etc., I look for two things:
    Books.
    Pictures on walls.

My apartment is a conglomerate of books [everywhere] and mostly discarded Starbucks posters that I have had laminated into works of art, in my opinion. And [centerpiece] an A.J. Casson massive gorgeous painting called “Prelude”.
    I love these pics, of yours.

I’ve never thought of combining words and pictures in that way- it’s very creative. I especially love the sky picture. I hope you get back to London sometime soon. I feel that way about Paris.

Great post! I’m sure your family & friends appreciate that you don’t plan to move to London. :). It’s a great city to visit, though. So much history & culture there.

6. I love the London photos! I’ve been there once and would love to visit again at some point.

7. Lovely pictures, with some nice thoughts to go with them. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/UR1qO

Such a neat idea! Your artwork is beautiful!

9. Love the London photos…going there is also a dream I chase. Here’s hoping we both make it one of these days.

Here’s my Snapshot.

10. I was born in London and haven’t been back in 20 years. Really feeling the need to go. Love the quotes, a neat thing to do!

11. booksavvybabe says:

Love the idea, and it looks great too! Thank you for sharing, Book Savvy Babe

What a great idea. I like doing things like that on my blog but never thought to do it for my walls.