Saturday Snapshot: Visiting Mr. Lincoln

Vacation photos this week for Saturday Snapshot, from my trip to Washington D.C. last fall.  I’d never been there, and one of the things I was most excited to see was the Lincoln Memorial.  I like Mr. Lincoln, but I think it was also because the Memorial comes up so often in books and movies–and because of Heinlein.

The first time I can remember being struck by the Lincoln Memorial was reading Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert Heinlein, probably 12 or 15 years ago.  (A good book, by the way.)  It’s set in the distant future, humanity has spread across the stars, a trip from California to Washington D.C. is an easy jaunt by hovercar or something like it…but at one point, the characters visit the Lincoln Memorial.  The timelessness of it struck me, that in this distant future where everything is different, the Lincoln Memorial is still there.  Sure, it’s fiction written by a modern author, with modern priorities, but it made sense.

I reread Citizen of the Galaxy in the last year or two, remembering very little except the Lincoln Memorial–and I found out I hadn’t remembered that right anyway.  They go to the Lincoln Memorial, but it’s a re-creation, which kind of spoils it–but maybe not, because the principle is still true.  Some things, like Stonehenge and the Roman Colosseum and perhaps the Lincoln Memorial, last.  Which makes visiting them like visiting a bit of history.

And at least I know that Mr. Smith was at the real one, when he went to Washington!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Visiting Mr. Lincoln

1. Gorgeous photographs! Awesome place!

Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

What fun to visit a place you’ve heard described so many times. I went to grad school in DC. My favorite monument was the Jefferson Memorial at night time.

It’s a beautiful building alright, it’s right to hope that they’re permanent. I visited back in 91 (oh, that was such a looong time ago!)

4. Cathy says:

My husband and I could spend only a very short time in DC, and I insisted on visiting the Lincoln Memorial. It’s stunning.

5. Never been to Washington BUT my husband worked on the movie version of that book Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Graham-Smith!

6. lisabutterybooks says:

I never tire of visiting DC and we try to go every few years.

7. Dennis says:

Your post puts me in mind of my favorite Hollywood take on the Lincoln Memorial. It’s in The Day the Earth Stood Still (the wonderful version from 51, not the ridiculous remake from 08). The alien, Klaatu (Michael Rennie), is standing in front of the Lincoln Memorial reading a Lincoln quotation. He turns to the little boy, Bobby (Billy Gray), and deadpans “He must have been a great man.” Bobby, unaware that Klaatu had never heard of Lincoln before, replies, “Well, sure.” In his tone you hear the inference. In essence, he’s saying to his elder: “Duh!”

8. mostraum says:

Wonderful picture of this beautiful and important memorial. I remember visiting it in 2000, and would like to go back to Washington DC some day.

9. I’ve visited twice and both times it impressed me. The first time I remember it being referenced in pop culture was when I watched Logan’s Run as a young child – that stuck with me.

10. kaye says:

I’ve never been there. I didn’t realize that building was so huge! Wow, that must have been a wonderful trip.

11. MaryR says:

Lovely pictures. I lived in D.C. for several years and never got tired of seeing the beautiful monuments. Jefferson is my favorite, but Lincoln is a close second.

12. diane says:

Haven’t been there in 20 years, but unless you see it, you never realize how huge it is. Great shot

13. Cath says:

Wow, that first pic is amazing! Very impressive!

That is such an impressive building. I was there many years ago on a family vacation.

I’ve read a lot of Heinlein but I think I missed Citizen of the Galaxy, I don’t remember the Lincoln Memorial in any of his books.

15. I haven’t been to DC in years, but I love it there. These monuments always awe me.

I loved it when we saw it recently. It was my third time – the other times were many years before in a two year period when I was in high school (with my family and on a school trip). It was still very impressive all these years later. The timelessness of the quotes and the statue itself are what make it so memorable.

17. I really want to visit Washington, D.C., someday! Love the wonderful photos you’ve posted, and other such memorials I’ve seen in movies, etc.

Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

That sculpture is just so impressive … I love how people naturally hush when they approach the statue … and his careworn expression is just so emotional. Interesting that it plays such a role in Heinlein’s work … reminded me of the Statue of Liberty exposed on the beach at the end of Planet of the Apes … also a moment when you confront the continuity of social monuments over the long span of human history …

• So true about how people hush–I was trying to get pictures that didn’t show the crowds, but there were a lot of people in there with the statue, yet it was so quiet. It has almost a temple feel, in a secular way.

Great comparison with Planet of the Apes! Although I’m not sure if the monument was important to Heinlein–it was somehow just a small moment that really spoke to me!

How great that you got up so close! We were in DC a few years ago and only saw it in the distance. There were so many other things to see, we just didn’t make it over there. Great pics 🙂

20. Kay says:

How interesting. I agree that the Lincoln Memorial is impressive and so very big. We’ve seen it too and I’m not sure a lot of the pictures really depict the massiveness of it. I love visiting Washington, D.C. Always something new to see.