Saturday Snapshot: Bookish Places

One of my favorite things to do on trips is to visit places I’ve read about in books.  Somehow, having a fictional event set in a real place makes that place so much more interesting!  Maybe it’s because I read about so many fantasy or sci fi places I’m obviously never going to go 🙂 so it’s especially fun when I can go somewhere real.

Everywhere I turned on my trip to New York, I seemed to be seeing something I knew from a book or a movie or just the cultural consciousness.  Naturally I took pictures of everything!  But I’ll just share a couple today.  🙂

First, the fountain in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It’s lovely in its own right, and all the more interesting because Claudia and Jamie took a bath in it while they were hiding out at the Met, in From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg.

Next on the museum tour, the Natural History Museum.  It’s featured in The Night at the Museum, but personally I was more interested in it as Caroline’s museum.

In The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline by Lois Lowry, Caroline is an eleven-year-old girl and aspiring paleontologist who goes to the Natural History Museum every week.  She knows all the exhibits and everyone who works there.  It’s clearly a second home for her, and I felt that a bit vicariously, even though it was my first trip.  And anyway, who doesn’t love seeing dinosaurs?

I’ll save some other places for another week…  In the meantime, check out more Saturday Snapshots on At Home with Books!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Bookish Places

1. Cipriano says:

I love that fountain photo.
    Interestingly enough [perhaps?] I do something like what you are doing here, but with Wikipedia. When a certain [real] place is mentioned in a novel, I will go to Wikipedia, log in with my editor status-thing, and reference the allusion in their “Literary Links” section. I think of it is as my little contribution to…. Literary Geekdom!

2. pooch2 says:

Wonderful images and amazing range from one museum to another. Looks like you are having a wonderful time with so much inspiration and food for thought.

🙂

3. i love your pictures and relating the subject matter with books is fantastic! thank you for sharing…i especially love the last one of the dinosaur!

4. Cathy says:

Love the dinosaurs!

5. Dennis says:

Yes, New York is a fabulous place for spotting things that you know from books and movies. Some, like the Empire State Building that King Kong decided to climb, are famous landmarks in their own right. Others, like the fountain in Central Park that was featured in Enchanted, are recognizable mainly because you saw the movie. Either way, it’s fun to see them in real life.. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts from New York.

6. Looks like you had a ball on your trip to NYC. Great photos.

7. What a great idea tying pictures to books you’ve read! It’s nice that you’ve been able to take trips that let you do that. I’ll have to keep it in mind (especially if I make my British trip….).

Here’s my Snapshot

8. I must have read Mixed-Up Files dozens of times as a kid. I was always so jealous of Claudia and Jamie, who were able to go on such a great adventure and live in a museum. I’ve never seen a photo of the fountain though; it’s much bigger and grander in my mind than in real life. Funny how that is. 🙂

9. Vicki says:

What a neat trip!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

10. Edgar says:

Now I understand how the characters become alive when you visit the places that are in the books you read. The visualization becomes complete. You become part of the story.

11. I agree – it’s so fun to see the real life places from books. I’ve been reading the third Percy Jackson book to my kids and there are a few scenes in Washington DC, where we are going for vacation this year. It will be my youngest son’s first time there, and I’m curious to see what kind of connections he makes from the story.

12. What a great idea! I also love visiting places I’ve read about – as well as reading about places I’ve visited.

Here are my British Snapshots

13. What a great post! I love seeing places I know from books too – New York sure is full of them. I think that’s because it’s an amazing city that has inspired generations of writers. I love that you tied in bookish places with Saturday Snapshot!

Great dinosaur photos. They really let you get up close to them there.

I love NYC! I used to live there as a child and then went back with my hub a couple of times just recently but never got to the museums – guess we’ll have to go back 😉

16. booksnyc says:

great shots and I love how you connected them to characters and locales in books!

I loved From the Mixed up File of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler even though it is an awful title for a book and an editor should have insisted it be changed. Here’s Mine

18. anniebutterybooks says:

I oftentimes dream of visiting the places I’ve read about in books. At the very top of my list is Barcelona’s Bari Gotic district. I was completely enthralled after reading The Shadow of the Wind!

When I read a book that’s set in a place I’m familiar with I’m always trying to visualize what I remember of the area. Sounds like fun to visit the place after reading a book and see what it’s really like. Except if it’s set on Mars or Trantor or future Earth or… I read a lot of scifi too.

20. zapkode.marie says:

Scary dinos! Thanks for sharing!

21. mostraum says:

Love your book references. I like seeing places from books too.
    Thanks for visiting 🙂

22. Fun pictures!! I like your thought process behind ’em!! 😀

-Burgandy Ice

23. I really like visiting places I’ve read about, too; or places I’ve seen in movies. When I spent a weekend in Boston many years ago, I so enjoyed seeing those familiar places in movies afterwards.

I like your photos. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

24. Kay says:

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love the way you connected them with books and movies. It’s been years since I read THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER. I need to have a reread!

25. … ‘having a fictional event set in a real place makes that place so much more interesting!’ I agree, and it’s nearly as good seeing photos of such places! Great photos of dinosaur skeletons.