Saturday Snapshot: Christmas Decorations

Last weekend was fairly Christmassy–I spent part of Saturday decorating, and part of Sunday wrapping presents.  I have a small apartment, so I just get a little tree to set on a table.  But I seem to have bought small presents this year, so everything fit under it too.

Christmas Tree

I discovered that the tree looked far more interesting photographed in the dark!

I also put up my musical shepherds every year.

Christmas Shepherds (1)

These gentlemen and their flock were part of my grandpa’s Christmas decorations when he was growing up, so they’re probably about 75 years old.  You can still see the price stamped on some of the pieces: each sheep was five cents, and each shepherd was twenty-nine cents!

Christmas Shepherds (2)

Here’s a closer view.  I love how each shepherd is so individual, with his own personality.  Some day I must write a story about them.  They’re a bit worn–but that just means they have history!

What are your favorite holiday decorations?  I’d love to hear about them!

Visit At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots.

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Christmas Decorations

1. MarthaE says:

Your tree is so nice! Your other decorations are sweet too. We helped our son decorate their tree since we aren’t home. Have a lovely holiday!

Your tree photo is great. And how wonderful to have your granddad’s christmas decorations, and to still use them every year.

3. Brona says:

I love the backlighting of the tree – very atmospheric.

4. The tree looks so pretty all lit up! My mom’s nativity set is a set of ceramic figurines that she painted herself. We had so much fun arranging those when we were kids.

5. Vicki says:

Love the tree! I love that you have your Grandpa’s shepherd’s and flock!!
    Here’s My SS

6. Melwyk says:

How wonderful that you have decorations from your grandfather! I don’t have any family heirlooms like that, but like to put up traditional decorations like garlands and use a lot of gold/red and natural ornaments like straw figures and so on. A subdued look but one I really love.

7. Love the photo of the tree with the lights reflected on the wall!

8. joyweesemoll says:

Beautiful. That’s wonderful that you have your grandpa’s shepherds.

The shepards look quite charming & not too worn! My favorite Christmas decorations are the Advent candles and our Nativity scene.

10. Kaye says:

Oooh, I love your shephers and flock. How wonderful that you have this family heirloom.

11. Oh, I love the family collections for Christmas. I don’t have any of the ones my mother used to put out…but that was always a comforting thing to see. She had tiny little trees and deer on the mantle.

I, too, have small Christmas trees…three of them. This week, I’m celebrating some Christmases Past in MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

12. I loved looking at your tree and sheperds – very nice. I don’t decorate much anymore just a few simple things like a wreath, menorah and a tiny tree.