Saturday Snapshot: Knick-Knacks

I like everything I own to have a story.  That doesn’t extend to, say, my shampoo or silverware, but it does include my knick-knacks.

Shelf - Barrie Fairies

I saw these adorable fairies for sale in Covent Gardens.  Having just spent a week wandering around Kensington Gardens with fairies on my mind, I couldn’t resist.  Naturally I keep them in front of my J. M. Barrie collection.

Shelf - Fandom

Here you see the result of some of my fandoms…my shelf of Star Trek books also houses Trevor the Tribble, Kirk and Spock salt-and-pepper shakers, and a Data action figure that I bought at my first ever job, at KayBee Toys (for the record, I don’t recommend working in a toy store for the Christmas season).

On the next shelf, my Phantom collection, with a model of the Paris Opera House, and then my Pirate collection.  I bought the “solemn” Captain Jack action figure because the grinning one was terrifying (really), and I managed to get a Captain Jack Happy Meal toy without actually buying any food at McDonalds.

Shelf - Lucky Cat

A less obvious connection here…but I have a Lucky Cat figurine that I bought in Chinatown in San Francisco, and it’s on this shelf because Keladry, heroine of the Protector of the Small quartet, has a collection of Lucky Cat figures.

Those are my cleverest book-and-knick-knack combinations…but perhaps I’ll share other knick-knacks another day! 🙂  Do you have any with fun stories?

Visit At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Knick-Knacks

1. TracyK says:

I like all your knick knacks but especially the Lucky Cat. That is the nicest one I have seen.

Very long ago, I worked in a discount department store in the toy department at Christmas season. I know what you mean. I was on my feet forever and lost a lot of weight. The only good thing about it.

2. I also have one of those faeries 🙂 my mother bought it me.

3. deslily says:

what a really nice post! I enjoyed the photo’s of the knicknacks and of course, the books! It truly speaks about who you are. this is a most excellent post.. or as Spock would say, “fascinating”.

4. What a great idea for the bookshelves! I love it. My shelves are not so organized (or pretty). One day!

5. I love the idea of book-related knick-knacks! It’s something I’ve never thought of doing. Your Star Trek figures are cool BTW! 🙂

6. Carl V. says:

“I like everything I own to have a story.”
    🙂
    You are a person after my own heart! I am the primary decorator at our house and our home is full of individual stories. I like to do things just like you do. We have references to things that are our favorites all over the house. Besides the very obvious knick-knacks that everyone would get the reference we have less obvious references to things like Jeeves and Wooster, the Thin Man, nods to games that I enjoy like Fallout 3 and Gears of War, etc. I enjoy making our home reflect us and not just be filled with items picked randomly and without meaning.

Thanks for sharing some of yours, this is great.

Great pairings! I didn’t realise that JM Barrie had written so many other works.

8. I love your orderly bookshelves and your knick knacks that live with them. So cleaver. I’ve never seen such a beautiful Lucky Cat statue!

9. R. A. Gates says:

Very cute. I have the same Data action figure on my desk watching over me as I write.

10. What a wonderful idea. I’d love to do this, but my bookshelves are too crammed with books and in too much of a mess.. IHowever, ‘m knitting a penguin to look after my old Penguin Books, which are mostly on a shelf of their own. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/BIJkg

11. Kaye says:

Very clever idea! Most of the knickknacks I own are penguins so they don’t really go with my books. (other than Mr. Popper’s Penguins)

12. Lark says:

Cheryl, I love this idea! I tend to shelve my books alphabetically by author within genres, but I could certainly match a few of my knick-knacks to the genre shelves, and even to various authors. ou’ve inspired me — I’ll have to start rearranging my treasures! The shelf dragon definitely belongs in front of the Pern novels, for instance. And the pink chenille Reginald (a rabbit) that my daughter knitted HAS to go with Nancy Atherton’s Aunt Dimity books, since he’s modeled on the bunny in those. Y

Among my most treasured knick-knacks are small figurines made by my daughter out of polymer clay. (She’s very good — you should see the collection of classic Pooh figures she’s made.) These are too fragile to sit on an open shelf, particularly with cats about, so I’m looking for one or more of those shadowbox frames to hang on the wall. I wish I could display the Pooh figures with my Milne books, though! Maybe someday I’ll get glass-fronted bookshelves…

• Haha, glad to hear you’re inspired! You should take some pictures and share them. 🙂

And oddly enough, I have a dragon figure that’s not with my Pern books…I may need to rearrange some things!

13. Melwyk says:

Love how the knickknacks reflect the subject area they reside in on the shelves! Fun stuff… I don’t really have anything similar, though I do keep random items on display on the shelf.

14. readerbuzz says:

Love the knick knacks and, especially, love the stories that go with the knick knacks.

Here’s my Saturday Snapshot. I’d love to have you stop by.

15. Bart says:

I’ve got a couple of Poppets and Harry Potter figures that live on my bookshelves.

16. Ginny says:

The best one is the Trevor the tribble. I have not thought about tribbles for a long time.

I have a small Navajo storyteller with the children gathered around me that a teacher friend gave me when I did my student teaching in a reading classroom … I love it … your collection is so interesting! Lucky cat is a keeper, for sure!

I collect little friar or monk figurines. I have been a parishioner at a Franciscan Catholic church for over 30 years, so that’s why I collect them. I have one collection of six (with two extra that I get out at Christmas). I have some other pairs. I display all of them on my bookshelves.

19. Elizabeth says:

I love how you did this with your figurines and knick knacks. So clever.

Elizabeth