Saturday Snapshot: My Literary Cat-Friend

I try to make a habit of walking around my neighborhood every day, and along the way I’ve met lots of neighborhood cats.  My favorite is Ruby, a very friendly adventurer who plainly has a literary interest.

There’s a small library only about six blocks from my apartment, and most of the time that’s where I see Ruby.  She likes to hang out on the brick wall or the front steps.  She’s a smart cat, and has realized that this is the place to go to meet people–or perhaps she likes to read.

I had always assumed she lived nearby, but then one day I actually took a look at the address on her tag–it turns out she lives a block and half away from the library.  By that point I’d been seeing her there for months, so I knew she wasn’t lost.  She just likes to travel.  In practical terms, I know I probably should worry about her crossing (quiet) streets, but if you actually meet Ruby–well, that is the most sure-of-herself cat I’ve ever seen, and it’s hard not to believe that she knows exactly what she’s doing.

Just once I did worry a little–I was walking a block on past the library, and Ruby seemed inclined to go the same way, the exact opposite direction from her house.  She ignored my suggestions that she ought to go back, and I don’t really think she was trying to follow me at all.  I think she was just going about her own business.  She trotted off down a sidepath with no hesitation, and sure enough, I saw her back at the library a day or two later.

I must admit, there are days when I feel somewhat envious.  I’d rather like to spend the day hanging out at the library too!

Visit At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: My Literary Cat-Friend

what a lovely story you told with your pictures. I’d love to give Ruby a scratch around the ears- I’m sure we’d both enjoy it.

2. Eugenia says:

She’s precious! It’s so funny when pets go about looking all purposeful and business-like – I want to follow them and see where they’re going!

I would be worrying about her too. When I see a kitty that obviously has a home I want to scoop them up and bring them back to the safety of their yard. But… if she hangs out at the library, I’m sure she’s a smart cat. 🙂

What a cute kitty! And she’s obviously smart to pick a place like a library where she wants to hang out!

5. diane says:

She is a cutie, and certainly does not seem shy around strangers.

6. irene says:

She’s wonderful. I love the little heart. My son use to have quite a following when he delivered the newspapers in our neighborhood, he worried about them too, he actually walked them back home, it was almost like they were inviting him to their homes, once they got home they would roll around on the porch so he could snuggle them up.

7. Gotta love a cat that loves the library! Great story–thanks for sharing.

Here’s my Snapshot.

8. Confident Kitty!! I was just chucklin’ at how Salty sprawled in the middle of the walkway like he owned it. Cats just do whatever they want, don’t they?

She’s gorgeous, and obviously friendly. Here’s Mine

10. She must know that cat people also like the library. 🙂

11. Cute story and adorable cat. Hanging out at a library is never a bad idea.

12. BermudaOnion says:

The library needs to adopt Ruby!

13. Ruby is an intriguing cat, and thanks for sharing her adventures and travels.

Here’s MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

14. I’d like to hang out by the library all day, too!

Hehe she looks right at home there on the wall by the library 🙂

16. AWW what a pretty kitty, and great story! Meet my kitty.. My Saturday Snapsshot.