Saturday Snapshot: Visiting Book Characters

I’ve mentioned before that I love visiting places that figure in books, and I’ve been lucky to do that fairly often.  Once in a great while, I get to visit a character from a book–sort of!

These are the original Winnie-the-Pooh characters, the dolls owned by Christopher Robin Milne, A. A. Milne’s son.  Rabbit and Owl were slightly more imaginary, and Roo was lost in an apple orchard around 1925, but you can go visit Kanga, Tigger, Edward Bear, Piglet and Eeyore at the New York Public Library.  There’s a lovely display in the children’s section.  You can’t see it in this picture, but Eeyore’s tail really is held on with a tack!

This is the Peter Pan Statue in Kensington Gardens, which is where Peter ran away to when he left home.  I don’t actually know those two little girls, but they happened to be there when I snapped the picture and I liked how it came out.  And I’m fascinated by the base of the statue–I see something new in it every time I look at it.

There aren’t very many bookish characters available to be visited…but at least there are plenty more bookish places I still want to go…

See more Saturday Snapshots on At Home with Books!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Visiting Book Characters

1. Burgandy Ice says:

Too fun!! What fun pix this week!!

2. pinkim95 says:

Oh my Gosh I love this! Thanks so much for sharing the Pooh Character pictures…I am sure we all have many happy memories of Pooh…I then was able to share him with my much younger sister and then my own daughter…How great that you were able to visit with these characters! I also want to thank you for stopping by my blog…TrulySimplyPink:)

3. Carl V. says:

Those are great! I’d love to see the original inspirations for the Pooh characters. Those remain some of my favorite books. A few years ago on our anniversary I read Winnie the Pooh and The House on Pooh Corner aloud to my wife. We laughed and reminisced about how much these characters mean to us.

The Peter Pan statue is great and your capture with the two girls is PERFECT!

4. abrianna says:

I really like the Peter Pan statue. Lovely.

5. Cathy says:

Love ’em– what a wonderful trip!

6. Everything about Winnie the Pooh – the animals & the stories – is magical!

7. zettew says:

I loved your Saturday Snapshot! What a wonderful trip & experience. Thanks for sharing it with us!

8. Oh! I loved the Peter Pan statue! I spent a half hour walking around it and taking pictures of all the different components! Sooo magical! I’ll visit Milne’s characters now that I know they reside in the NY Public Library!

We were just in Littleton, New Hampshire and visited the statue of Pollyanna …

I love visiting bookish places too on my travels, as you noticed with Bloomsday today. How fantastic to see those original Christopher Robin toys! I had no idea they were on display, let alone on display in New York.

10. Wow! Love the original Pooh stuffed animals….will have to remember this in case I make another trip to NYC. And the picture of the girls with Peter Pan is very good. Were they twins–sort of looks like it from what I can see of them.

Here’s my Snapshot.

11. booksavvybabe says:

aww, I love that Winnie the Pooh is such a classic, those stuffed animals are precious Book Savvy Babe

12. BermudaOnion says:

Oh my gosh, I want to see those Winnie-the-Pooh stuffed animals now!

I love that these stuffed animals exist and you can visit them. About 10 years ago, we visited some of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s old homes. It’s not quite the same as visiting the characters, but I loved seeing the places she wrote about in her books.
    Here’s Mine

14. ellisnelson says:

Aww- that took my back to the days when I read those to my kids. Had no idea the NY Public Library had Christopher Robin’s toys!

15. There’s a lump in my throat and it’s your fault. How poignant and lovely that the original stuffies are on display. And how lovely Christopher Robin inspired stories that have mesmerized millions and millions of children and adults. Great post!

16. Eugenia says:

Eeyore’s my favourite!

17. Cipriano says:

These are great pics. I am a big fan of Winnie-The-Pooh — I even have a T-shirt of him.
    Your photo also reminded me of that 70’s Canadian rock band called “Edward Bear”. They took their name from this very stuffed toy!

What a wonderful monument! It looks like the girls were meant to be there 🙂

Love the Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals! They are in remarkably good condition for their age! It’s nice that the public can see them.

20. Zia says:

Those are awesome! I really like the 2nd picture as well.

21. Kailana says:

This is great! I wish we had stuff like that here.

22. Oh, that is so wonderful – I especially like Kanga. My Snapshot, a little later than usual, is a Saxon Queen who led her army into battle against the Vikings… http://goo.gl/vTUc8

23. I do love bookish characters…I have a few in the form of dolls and figurines. Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

24. Patti Smith says:

Oh! Look at little Piglet!!! My middle daughter loved Winnie the Pooh when she was little so we have lots of Pooh things 🙂 Next time in NY I will make it a point of going to see this exhibit!