Saturday Snapshot: New York, New York

As I’ve probably mentioned, one of my favorite things when I travel is to see places I’ve read about, or recognize from movies or TV.  So New York was quite the experience, as that seemed to be happening to me every time I turned around!  I counted media references in my trip scrapbook–over thirty.  I won’t try to tell you about all of them…  Here are just a few pictures I snapped with the thought, “oh, I’ve seen that!”

This bridge in Central Park is not only beautiful, but Patrick Dempsey strolls along it during Made of Honor, a very cute chick flick.

Bethesda Fountain, also in Central Park, figures in a great musical number in Enchanted.  It’s also the iconic image from Angels in America.  I recommend the first, not so much the second.

I was thrilled in Washington Square to unexpectedly stumble across the arch from August Rush, a wonderful movie starring Freddie Highmore.

Anyone else with movie-settings-in-real-life stories? 🙂  And of course, visit At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: New York, New York

1. Barbara says:

Love your photos of my favorite city. I ‘m not sure but I think Harry drops Sally off near Washington Square Park in ‘When Harry met Sally.’

Thanks for taking me to all of those movie spots. Did you have a smart phone to show you where they were, or did you just recognize them? we were watching Midnight in Paris the other night and found a Google map on our phone so we could figure out if we had visited the various sights.

• I just recognized them, no technology help. In some ways the most fun part is stumbling on a recognizable scene unexpectedly! Although a guide to help me find more would be handy too. 🙂 Knowing New York, I probably passed other movie spots without realizing it!

3. Kailana says:

That’s great! I had surprisingly seen all the movies you mentioned, so that was a fun idea for a post!

Nice shots, and interesting to have the movie references- I get a thrill from that too.

5. Love the photos and how you tied those with movies!

Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

6. I kept seeing “familiar” places in New York, too. Fun!
    Joy’s Book Blog

7. The only one of those movies I’ve seen was Enchanted, which I thought was a lot of fun. Nice photos!

8. irene says:

What a great movie/real adventure. I haven’t seen too many of the movies you mention, but I started to watch Angels in America, I found it rather disturbing. So I wouldn’t recommend it either.

9. mostraum says:

Great pictures and movie references. I had no idea about any of those movies.

10. ardsley19 says:

Beautiful shots. And now I want to see Made of Honor. I want to see New York some day. My husband hates big cities. I mean HATES. He is a hick. I love them to visit. So I’ll have to visit it with my sister or someone

11. Bart says:

Lovely photos and connections to movies. Makes me want to visit New York even more!

12. Great movie tie-ins. I don’t generally make connections like that–simply because I read way more than I do movies.

Here’s my Snapshot.

13. BermudaOnion says:

I loved that you tied your visit into movies you’ve seen!

14. Oh, I love seeing “familiar” sights that I’ve enjoyed in movies. These are great!
    Years ago, after a trip to Boston, I recognized some scenes in a movie afterwards.

Here’s MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

I love how in NY everywhere you go you see something familiar – even the street signs (Wall Street, Broadway, 42nd Street, etc). It’s a terrific place to visit.

16. Great pictures! I’ve only been to New York once and I didn’t get to see much.

17. I love New York! Your movie connections make your shots all the more intriguing, as I now wonder what I’ve looked at on the New York skyline and at various spots and seen elsewhere in media.

18. Great shots of the city. We were there about a month ago and plan to return in the fall.

19. Central Park looks really beautiful. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/qCafm

20. Cathy says:

I enjoyed Made of Honor because part of it was filmed at one of my favorite castles in Scotland, Ailean Donan. The first time I was in the Highlands, our hotel room looked out at that castle.