Saturday Snapshot: 221B Baker Street

One of my many literary pilgrimages while I was in London and Paris included a trip to a very famous address–221B Baker Street, the home of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.  I had heard it was a tourist trap and was pleasantly surprised that it was better than reported.  I wrote more about it as part of a book review earlier this week, so today–pictures!

The outside of the building…

The parlor–and by far the best room. Sorry it’s a bit dark!

Holmes’ desk, and Stradivarius violin

Irene Adler?

Sitting by the fire…

It all rather makes me want to read another Holmes book.

Check out At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: 221B Baker Street

What a wonderful place. I had no idea there was a museum there, now I want to go too!

2. Burgandy Ice says:

Ha! how cool is that?! It’s fun imagining Holmes there among all his things.

3. Novroz says:

oh…how wonderful!! you are so lucky…I wish I can visit it too one day. I love Sherlock. ah, it reminds me that I haven’t reviewed Sherlock audiobook narated by Sherlock himself (read: Benedict C)

4. I would love to visit! Great photos.

5. Boy, this looks like an amazing place to visit.

Oh, what fun you must have had oking about and looking at all that stuff around Holmes’ desk! Cool!

7. This place looks like everything I would expect SH place to be.

8. Great atmosphere…can almost feel the mystery♫

9. joon*ann says:

That’s my kind of decor! I love those shots. 🙂

10. The photos are gorgeous! I love buildings like this one…and interiors that have a patina to them…even if they’re dark. Thanks for sharing.

And for visiting my blog.

11. Kaye says:

Such wonderful shots! I like the parlor a little dark – makes me think of Jeremy Irons when he portrayed Holmes on PBS. He was a bit of a “dark” character. Thanks so much for sharing.

12. We just watched the first episode of Sherlock Season 2 as well as the new Elementary on CBS. My husband’s dream is to visit Baker Street – thanks for sharing these. I hope he doesn’t get my keyboard all wet – I know he’s going to salivate over this post!

13. That is so cool! It doesn’t look that different from the movies either. 🙂

14. Sue Jackson says:

Oh, literary travel stops!! How fun! So, how did this place come about since Holmes is actually fictional? Is it really at 221B Baker Street?

Looks like a lot of fun to visit! Thanks for sharing.

Sue

Book By Book

• There’s a real Baker Street, and as far as I can tell this is at the right spot. I don’t know how it got turned into a museum, but I love that the blue placque on the outside is just like the ones they use for real historical figures!

Very atmospheric in there! How fun that it’s open to the public.

16. It’s exactly as it should be! My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/DncFP

I love your photos! They really capture how the house looks. Thanks for sharing these!

18. Memory says: