Saturday Snapshot: Fish and Chips

This may sound strange, but I love British food.  It gets a bad reputation–but what’s not to love about fish and chips, meat pies, yorkshire pudding and jammie dodgers?  I made a particular effort (and it wasn’t that hard) to find British food while I was in London.  After I got home, I started thinking about where I could find British food here–and what I could try making myself.

Meat pies seem complicated, but I thought I could handle fish and chips.  On my trip, I had fish and chips for lunch one day at The Black Lion.  First picture, here’s the pub:

It’s a great old place that dates back to the 1700s.  It’s on Bayswater Road, across the street from the Black Lion Gate, which opens onto the Broad Walk in Kensington Gardens.  I like to think J. M. Barrie may have eaten here, considering he lived just a few blocks away.

Here’s The Black Lion’s fish and chips:

The book, incidentally, is Temptation of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig, and very good.  So was the food!

And here’s my version of fish and chips–which also turned out tasty. 🙂

Check out At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Fish and Chips

1. Kim V says:

It looks like you made a good copy of the Fish and Chips!

2. edgar says:

My wife likes fish and chips and of course also the mushy peas.Did I spell mushy correctly?
    When were in Grimsby, a fishing town, next to the North Sea, my wife and I enjoyed fish and chips.
    I think you did good with your cooking .

3. Yours looks awfully close!

4. Ginny Sturdy says:

Nothing like fish and chips, but if you’re being authentic you should really eat them out of newspaper.

5. Looks like you did a good job on the fish & chips. Yum!

Thanks for stopping by!

6. Being born in London, and growing up in Canada before moving to the US I ADORE fish and chips. We used to have them every Friday night – that whole Fish on Friday thing people used to do . Laurel Rain’s son is right – it’s the malt vinegar that makes them grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

That pub looks like my kind of place to stop for lunch. I get fish and chips a lot here (Chicago) but I’ve never had them served with a healthy veggie as a side.

What a fine looking old pub! How cool that it is still in operation after so many years. Your fish & chips looks very similar to what you ate in London. Good replication job.

9. Fish and chips are about the only traditional British food that I like, and thankfully they’re pretty easy to find here – lots of great seafood on the coast. My least favorite British food was mushy peas. 🙂

10. jkb4664 says:

Lucky you to be able to travel and taste new foods. I think that’s one of the best parts of traveling. I have not been to London or Austrualia, but I just know I would love fish and chips!! Yummy!

11. Always makes me a bit sad that we seem to have a bad reputation for food. Okay I probably agree traditional British food isn’t the most healthy food going but it is delicious. Did you not have a cream tea while you were here?

I’m so pleased to see you gave making fish and chips ago! I’m British and I haven’t even tried! But then I can walk to my local fish and chip shop (or chip shop as we usually just call them). I watched a documentary not long ago that was looking at the origin of traditional British foods. Fish and chips came about when jewish people started to settle in Britain. We loved white fish and potato, and the jewish were famous for fried food. I thought it was really interesting to see the roots of tradition.

• I had tea…with milk in it. I’m not sure if that qualifies as cream tea. But one of my favorite trip-memories was having tea at an outdoor table just off of Trafalgar Square. 🙂

It turns out fish and chips are not that hard to make, if you ever want to give it a go. And roots of tradition are always interesting!

• Oh no its pretty standard to have milk in tea here. The name cream tea I’d imagine came about as a abbreviation. Cream Tea is in fact a set meal where you get a fruit scone served with butter, clotted cream, strawberry jam, and a pot of tea. It is delicious 🙂

• Actually, I kind of did have that then, somewhat unintentionally. I went to the Orangerie in Kensington Gardens one afternoon, where their menu was all very large and elaborate teas. I wasn’t that hungry, so I asked if it was possible to get anything a la carte, and I ended up with tea and scones with butter and jam. I guess I missed the cream, though…

12. I love fish and chips, too; when my son came back from London, he had a special fondness for the dish. It’s the malt vinegar, he said. So we order that whenever we have fish and chips.

Here’s MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

It never occurred to me that it is hard to get fish and chips in some places! It’s very common here in Australia too. Well done for making it at home. We’d usually serve it with salad rather than vegies here. Of course from a fish and chip shop there is no salad and no vegies, just fish and chips. And now, I want some!

• It’s actually not hard to get fish and chips here…but it was more interesting to take a stab at making them! Pasties, on the other hand, may give me trouble…to make or find!

Oh! London and a good plate of fish and chips to knosh … what a lovely dream!

15. Your fish and chips looks great. It is such comfort food!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

16. Eugenia says:

Your fish and chips look great! I just couldn’t get into the vinegar thing but I did love the meat pies!

17. I don’t eat fish (or meat) but your fish and chips do look nice – and I like the idea of serving them with broccoli. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/ksE6O

I agree that I love fish and chips, and two members of my family love shepherd’s pie. I’ve never tried to cook British foods though. It’s easy to find Irish pubs and restaurants nearby, British not so much. Here’s Mine

19. Cipriano says:

A good book. A great setting. Lovely food.
    Basically — I want to be there. Thank you for the virtual transportation!