Saturday Snapshots: Researching the Phantom

I’m currently waist-deep in research for a retelling I’m writing of The Phantom of the Opera, and thought I’d share a couple of recent book purchases–which were for research, of course!  They’re very visual so they seemed appropriate for sharing in photos…

Phantom Photos (1)The Paris Opera has some good information about the building…but mostly I bought it because it’s full of gorgeous pictures!  I actually got a copy out of the library, and then decided to buy my own.  How could I resist a giant coffee table book with photos of the Opera Garnier?

Phantom Photos (2)As for Leroux’s Phantom, well, of course I already had a copy (three, in fact–one in French, one good translation, and one bad translation that I highlighted all over–for research) but you see…this one is illustrated!  And it was only four dollars at a used bookstore.  I don’t think either of these points convinced the friend I was with that I’m not crazy…

Phantom Photos (3)I don’t generally buy books for the pictures…though I do have a gorgeously-illustrated copy of Peter Pan.  Hmm, perhaps something to share another Saturday!  Do you have any beautiful books you bought for their illustrations?

Visit West Metro Mommy for more Saturday Snapshots–and have a great long weekend!

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Saturday Snapshots: Researching the Phantom

1. megwrites says:

This sounds like the perfect project for you!

2. Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post says:

I have not bought a book for its illustrations, maybe I need to rethink that! Lovely books.

3. I don’t think I’ve ever bought myself a book for the illustrations. My mother has bought some beautiful books as gifts for me though. The one that springs to the mind the most is a large hardback illustrated copy of The Hobbit I never read this version always preferring the old and battered family copy but I do crack it open now and again to look at the beautiful pictures 🙂

4. Lisa says:

I’m more familiar with the musical version of Phantom than the original story, but it’s still a story I love! And I might have to hunt down that illustrated version, because I do like good illustrations in books. I have a cloth-bound hardcover of Peter Pan that I absolutely love. 😀

I think we completely understand why you would buy a fourth copy of Phantom- the illustrations are beautiful. I really must read it one day. I’ve been to the Opera Garnier several times now, and just love it, it’s such a beautiful building- I hope you’ve been able to visit.

6. Vicki says:

Great books! I have The Phantom of the Opera, but haven’t read it yet. Good luck on your writing!!

7. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful books…I love the Phantom of the Opera.

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My Saturday Snapshot

I have a wonderful book published by my church with photos of the inside & outside of the building, and from important liturgies through the year. It’s a keeper! Your two books look beautiful.

I bought The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady for the drawings that Edith Holden made … it’s a gorgeous naturalist’s diary. She was extremely talented …