I’m on my second year reading Newbery Medal winners, reviewing as I can, but I’ve never done a best-of reflection on Newbery Medal books. Here’s a round-up of favorites–some I read before this challenge, others read in the last couple years. In no particular order…
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz
- The Midwife’s Apprentice by Karen Cushman
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
- Dicey’s Song by Cynthia Voigt
- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsberg
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Bank
What are your favorites among the Newbery winners? (Not sure? Find the complete list here!) Maybe you’ll give me an idea for what I should read next.
2 thoughts on “Favorites Friday: Newbery Medal Winners”
A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L’Engle), The Grey King (Susan Cooper), The High King (Lloyd Alexander), The Witch of Blackbird Pond (Elizabeth George Speare), The Westing Game (Ellen Raskin — the audiobook is great.) I also really like Up a Road Slowly (Irene Hunt) and From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler. And I have a sneaking fondness for The Twenty-One Balloons (William Pene du Bois)
I loved “From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. The idea of living in a museum intrigued me as a kid.