“Waiting on Wednesday” is a meme for book bloggers to post about an unpublished book they’re eagerly waiting for. I’ve never actually participated…and technically I’m not participating today, since it’s Friday. But I thought I’d take the inspiration of that meme and share about all the books I’m anxiously waiting for in the next twelve months.
I read so many older books, and so many of my favorite authors don’t publish all that frequently (sigh) that I usually don’t have a lot of books I’m waiting for…but I’ve somehow managed to stumble my way into lots of half-written series, and am now left waiting for the next installments…
1) The Pink Carnation Series: The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla by Lauren Willig (August 5) – A historical fiction/romance/spy adventure series, each book focuses on a new couple in the web of families and friends, mostly from the ton in 1806 England. Since the books are self-contained, I’m not too desperate for the next one–although since it focuses on the sister of my favorite hero of the series to date, I am excited about that!
2) Fairyland 4 by Catherynne M. Valente (October?) – This is my favorite new series I’ve discovered in a very long time. And I am tragically without any information on the next installment–like a title or a release date. Since the previous ones have come out each fall, I am hopeful for an October release of the next one…and I will pre-order it on Amazon as soon as I can. (If you read my blog often and have noticed that I put all new books on reserve at the library, then you will know that pre-ordering something is a Very Big Deal for me!) And if anyone knows more than I do about Fairyland 4, please tell me…
3) Castle Glower Series: Thursdays with the Crown by Jennifer Day George (October 7) – The first book of this series about a sentient, constantly-changing castle was delightful, the second book ended with a cliffhanger, and now I am eager for the third!
4) Smek for President by Adam Rex (October 14) – The first book, The True Meaning of Smekday, told a hilarious and heartwrenching (a surprising combination!) story about when the Boovs landed on Earth on Christmas Day (of course), took over the planet and renamed December 25th Smekday. No idea where the sequel is going, but the last one was so much fun.
5) Jacky Faber Series: Wild Rover No More by L. A. Meyer (November 4) – I’ve been reading the Jacky Faber series since high school…and as you might guess from the title, this is the final one! In a way I’m sad–but I’m also excited to see how life finally turns out for the irrepressible Jacky.
6) Exile by Tamora Pierce (Fall 2014) – This is sort of a new series…and not. It’s Tamora Pierce’s new series in her familiar world of Tortall. Since other series in Tortall have been life-changing, I’m kind of looking forward to this one!
8) The Lunar Chronicles: Winter by Marissa Meyer (February 2015?) – No release date for this one yet either, but since the last two were out in February I am hoping for a February release again (I mean, unless we can get it sooner…) and I already lamented how desperate I am to get the end of this story!
9) Magic Ex Libris: Unbound by Jim C. Hines (Early 2015) – I loved the premise of Libriomancer, and will definitely read the second one, Codex Born, long before the third one is out…so I’ll have to start waiting for that one pretty soon.
10) Beyond the Tales: The Storyteller and Her Sisters by Cheryl Mahoney (October 2014) – One last bonus #10…I’m not waiting to read this one, but I do very much look forward to getting it published and letting all of you read it!
Are you in the middle of any unfinished series? What books are you most eagerly awaiting?