Earlier this week I updated on the best (and worst) of my reading for the year, but today I’m looking particularly at how I did on my several reading challenges…
I’ve grayed-out books read in the first three-quarters of the year, to make it easier to see recent updates.
My goal here was 7-9 books for the official challenge (which only counts YA and Middle Grade), and 12-15 as a personal challenge, to leave some open slots for grown-up retellings…and then I read almost all YA and MG anyway! A push in November/December put me over the goal for this one.
- Frogged by Vivian Vande Velde (MG)
- Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (YA)
- Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (YA)
- Hero by Alethea Kontis (YA)
- Half Upon a Time by James Riley (MG)
- Cress by Marissa Meyer (YA)
- Jack the Giant-Killer by Charles de Lint
- Princess of the Wild Swans by Diane Zahler (MG)
- The Castle Behind Thorns by Merrie Haskell (YA)
- Sleeping Beauty’s Daughters by Diane Zahler (MG)
- Curse of the Thirteenth Fey by Jane Yolen (MG)
- The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman (MG)
- Snow in Summer by Jane Yolen (YA) (review coming soon!)
TBR List Challenge
I’ve been working on reading down my To Be Read List, and here at the end of the year I’ve read 42 books off the list and added 17 (still unread), for a net gain of 25. I didn’t have a specific number goal in mind, so I’m calling that a success! 🙂 And I’m especially glad that I cleared out some books that had been on the list the longest–so now, I only have books added in 2012 or later.
After all my progress in 2012 and 2013 on series, I turned this year to finishing some duets I had only read half of. I’m listing both books in each duet, with an (R) where I also reread the first one this year.
1) Sophie Hunter Duet by Jenny Davidson: The Explosionist (R) and Invisible Things
2) Dreamhunter Duet by Elizabeth Knox: Dreamhunter (R) and Dreamquake
3) Austenland Duet by Shannon Hale: Austenland and Midnight in Austenland
5) Saga of the Light Isles: Wolfskin (R) and Foxmask by Juliet Marillier
I first read Wolfskin five years ago, so I’m particularly glad to have finally finished that half-read duet!
My goal here was a modest five books, and I wound up with ten–more by chance than by planning! And I even managed to finally review a historical fiction one with the last Jacky Faber book.
- Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman (audiobook)
- Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry
- Chasing Orion by Kathryn Laskey
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (reread)
- The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla by Lauren Willig
- Jane: The Woman Who Loved Tarzan by Robin Maxwell
- A Country of Strangers by Conrad Richter
- Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn
- Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright
- Wild Rover No More by L. A. Meyer
Did you have reading goals for the year? How did they turn out for you?