Saturday Snapshot: Book Delight

I don’t usually post pictures of books for Saturday Snapshot (seeing as I do that all week…) but this week I couldn’t resist.  I had a new arrival in the mailbox that has me thrilled to pieces.

LM Montgomery (1)I’ve been wanting to read a really good, in-depth biography of L. M. Montgomery for years, and I finally decided to buy Mary Rubio’s Gift of Wings…which weighs in at some 750 pages!  But I need something that long, if I want it to tell me anything that I haven’t already read in the thousands of pages of Montgomery’s journal…

LM Montgomery (3)After you’ve read that much about one person, you get sort of invested (obsessed?)…and want to know more.  At least, I do!  And while I haven’t started reading the biography yet, I’m taking this picture at the front as a good sign…

LM Montgomery (2)The book opens with a picture of Montgomery I’m fairly sure I’ve never seen–and to be honest, I don’t think there’s all that many of those left!

I’m not exactly recommending any of these books, unless you really like L. M. Montgomery (and possibly not even then…)  It all makes me think that writing isn’t intrinsically interesting or boring (maybe some is), but rather, something is interesting if we’re interested by it.  Circular?  Probably.  All I know is that I balk at 500 page fiction books, even in fantasy, a genre I love…but I’m delighted by the prospect of a 750 page, non-fiction biography about a woman who lived in Canada a hundred years ago.  Oh, and wrote a little book called Anne of Green Gables, followed by some twenty others.

Well, enough ruminations for Saturday morning!  Have a lovely weekend, and visit At Home with Books for more Saturday Snapshots.

This entry was posted in Saturday Snapshot and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Saturday Snapshot: Book Delight

1. MarthaE says:

Interesting post and it was fun to read your enthusiasm. I’m not one for 500+ pages fiction or non-fiction. 🙂

2. Great post and photos; I can feel you excitement.

3. Cipriano says:

That is a really great collection of books — and I like to see this kind of “obsession” with reading about the lives of great people — in this case, Canada’s most FAMOUS author for sure!

She must have been a true inspiration to you. Glad you found a book that (hopefully) covers her entire life. Here’s Mine

5. bettyl says:

I think you’re right–if you’re interested, it’s interesting. Enjoy your book 🙂

6. That is awesome! I love the Anne books and own the first volume of her journals, which I haven’t finished, but the parts I’ve read are lovely.

7. Brona says:

I get obsessions. I’m like that with Coco Chanel.

8. Joy says:

I have an obsessive personality so I can relate. 😉 Your passion is contagious.

Your passion for LM Montgomery is admirable. I’ve recently started reading about Joan of Arc, reading progressively longer books, although I know I’d still be daunted by 750 pages about Joan, I’m daunted by 750 pages about anything. I hope it has the new information your looking for, it has a lovely picture of her to start.

10. Nice pictures! I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t read Anne of Green Gables, though I love the movies! I really need to get around to reading these…

Here is my SATURDAY SNAPSHOT post.

11. Thanks so much for sharing! I absolutely adore Anne of Green Gables, I read it over and over growing up. I read it again as an adult a couple of years ago while visiting Prince Edward Island (where the story is based) and fell in love with it again. Here’s my Saturday snapshot post.

12. Love that you shared a great passion…enjoy! Thanks for commenting on my Blog (Bear With Me)

13. I don’t know anything about her. Sounds fascinating and why NOT a photo of a book? 😉

14. I used to adore really long books, but not so much anymore! But, as you say, if the topic is really interesting, it won’t seem like such a lengthy book. Love the photos…and want to know more about this author.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Seems like you found what you’re looking for in term of an in-depth biography of your favorite author. Happy reading! 😊

16. BermudaOnion says:

I hope it exceeds your expectations!

17. Ginny says:

That does look like a good read. I may recommend it to my sister, who did I think believe she was Anne of Green Gables for a while when we were growing up. She had long red hair, which she wore in plaits, with a straw hat.